Idris Elba tests positive for coronavirus and goes into self-isolation
Hollywood star Idris Elba has confirmed he has tested positive for coronavirus and gone into self-isolation.
The British actor has took to social media to say he feels okay and currently has no obvious symptoms, but has been isolated since he found out that he may have been exposed to the virus.
Sharing a video on Twitter to his 2.7 million followers, the 47-year-old Londoner wrote:
“This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic.”
This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing 👊🏾👊🏾 No panic. pic.twitter.com/Lg7HVMZglZ
— Idris Elba (@idriselba) March 16, 2020
In the video, featuring his wife Sabrina Dhowre, Elba says:
“Hey, what’s up guys? Look, this morning I got some test results back for coronavirus and it came back positive. Yeah, and it sucks.
“Listen, I’m doing okay. Sabrina [Dhowre] hasn’t been tested and she’s doing okay. I wasn’t… I didn’t have any symptoms. I got tested because I realised I was exposed to someone who had also tested positive. I found out last Friday that they were tested positive. I quarantined myself and got a test immediately and got the results back today.
“Look, this is serious, now is the time to really think about social distancing, washing your hands. Beyond that, there are people out there who aren’t showing symptoms and that can easily spread it. So now’s a real time to be really vigilant about washing your hands and keeping your distance, okay?
“We’ve told our families, they’ve very supportive. we’ve told our colleagues and transparency is probably the best thing for this right now. If you ‘re feeling ill or feel like you should be tested or have been exposed, do something about it, it’s really important.”
The award-winning actor – who has starred in Marvel’s Thor and The Avengers franchise; and the highly acclaimed Netflix film Beasts of No Nation – emphasised why countries need to work together as a global community to beat COVID-19.
“We live in a divided world right now, we can all feel it, it’s been bullshit but now’s the time for solidarity, now’s the time for thinking about each other. There’s so many people whose lives have been affected, from those who have lost people that they love to people to people that don’t even have it and have lost their livelihoods, this is real, alright?
“I just wanted to share my news with you guys and I will keep you updated with how I’m doing, but so far we’re feeling okay. Stay positive, don’t freak out.”
In the last few minutes, former Aston Villa footballer Gabby Agbonlahor has also announced he has the symptoms of COVID-19, stating on his Instagram stories:
“I have all the symptoms of coronavirus so will be self isolating myself from everyone for two weeks. Stay home guys, this virus has knocked me sideways.”\
It is not known if the 33-year-old former striker has been officially diagnosed.
The news comes a five days after Hollywood veteran Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson also announced they had tested positive for the virus while in Australia, and were self-isolating as a result. In their most recent update, Hanks said the couple would remain in isolation “for the next ten days”.
UK Coronavirus deaths rise to 53
The COVID-19 Coronavirus is spreading globally at an alarming rate, with concerns heightened due to the lack of vaccine for the virus’ current strain, which can be lethal to those with weakened immune systems.
Earlier this month, a patient at the Royal Berkshire Hospital who tested positive for coronavirus was confirmed as the UK’s first Coronvirus related fatality. This came on the same day an individual in Birmingham tested positive for coronavirus, becoming the city’s first patient with the infection.
Fifty-three people have since died in the UK from the virus, with the UK government’s chief medical adviser suggesting people who show “even minor” signs of respiratory tract infections or a fever could soon be told to self-isolate in an effort to tackle the outbreak.
The government is stepping up its coronavirus response, in order to delay its spread, including calling on people to stay away from social spaces, unnecessary travel; and work from home where required.
Large events have not officially been banned but guidance suggests they be avoided, as the government announces there will be no official support for mass gatherings. Scores of events up and down the country have already been cancelled or postponed.
Members of the public have been urged not to panic-buy as retailers reassure customers they have healthy supply chains, but panic buying could deprive the most vulnerable from essential sanitary items and medication.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his chief medical advisers have said most British people should expect social disruption as the projected rate of spread accelerates. With many European neighbours including Italy and Spain enforcing more serious “lockdown” measures and curfews, the UK government is as yet not closing schools – despite calls from teachers and parents to do so. However, the PM has not ruled out the action in the near future.
The official UK death toll presently sits at thirty-five, with some speculation that it may be higher, at thirty-seven. The World Health Organisation (WHO) is encouraging more tests on individuals while the UK government is no longer committing to mass testing.
According to official figures, London is at the centre of the escalating coronavirus outbreak in Britain. All of the top 12 areas with the highest number of Covid-19 cases are in the capital or in commuter-belt counties. Out of 1,099 confirmed cases in England, 407 were in the London NHS region and 175 in the South East. Combined, this is more than half the total.
Yesterday (Sunday), Health Secretary Matt Hancock said over-70s could be told to stay home for up to four months within the “coming weeks”.
Under the Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020, which were passed last month, a person who is required to be kept in isolation can be taken there by a constable, with the use of “reasonable force, if necessary”.
If you’re worried about coronavirus symptoms or have related concerns, please visit: https://gov.uk/coronavirus.