Two teenagers bailed after man assaulted while walking home from Birmingham mosque
Two 16-year-old boys, who were arrested after a man was attacked while walking home from a mosque in Birmingham last week, have been released on bail.
The 73-year-old victim was left injured following the brutal assault as he walked home from Kings Heath Mosque on Wednesday (29 March).
According to police, the vicious attack took place as the man was walking along York Road at around 11pm.
The victim suffered multiple injuries, a head injury after smashing it on a display board, a broken hand, and cuts to his face; and was rushed to hospital.
Following a hunt for the perpetrators, officers arrested two teenagers in connection with the incident.
The victim has since been discharged from hospital to continue recovering at home.
In a statement, West Midlands Police said: “Two 16-year-old boys have been bailed with conditions while our enquiries into the attack on a man in York Road, Kings Heath, continue.
“A 73-year-old man has been discharged from hospital to continue his recovery.His family have already asked for the public to be calm while we carry out our investigation.
“We’re grateful for the support we’ve received from the community, and we’re linking in with faith leaders and mosques to reassure the community.”
On Thursday (30 March) West Midlands Police said the motive for the attack in Kings Heath “isn’t clear at this stage, but there is nothing to suggest any connection at all to the recent attack on a man who was walking home from a mosque in Edgbaston.”