A quick thinking local resident has prevented a Christmas tragedy by waking up the occupant of a house on fire.

The fire broke out late Friday night in a house on Charles Road in Small Heath, Birmingham.

A local resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, prevented any fatalities by waking up the occupant of the property and leading her and her dog to safety.

The local resident was out walking when he saw flames from the downstairs window of the property on Charles Road. He stated:

“I saw a fire in the downstairs front room. I banged on the door. The lady must have been asleep but she opened the door and got out.”

The lady, including her dog, managed to escape the fire without any injuries. There were no other people or pets inside the property at the time of the fire.

Supplied
The lady and her dog managed to escape the fire after being awoken by a local resident

A fire engine arrived from Hay Mills and the firefighters were able to contain the fire.

Speculation suggests the fire was caused by overheating Christmas lights setting the curtains alight in the front living room of the house.

The quick action of the local resident and the prompt arrival of the fire crew prevented the fire turning into a tragedy.

Supplied
Smoke billows out of the front living room window of the house

West Midlands Fire Service always issue advice during the festive season and urge people to ensure Christmas tree lights don’t overheat. Decorative lights are a key feature in many homes over the holiday period and it is important to carry out simple measures such as regular checking and keeping any wiring away from curtains or dry materials which will help to avert a fire.

(Visited 90 times, 1 visits today)
https://www.iambirmingham.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Charles-Road-Fire-01-800x600.pnghttps://www.iambirmingham.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Charles-Road-Fire-01-300x225.pngRangzeb HussainCommunityNewsB'ham,Birmingham,Brum,Christmas,Christmas Tree,Dog,Fire,fire engines,fire fighters,fire service,I Am Birmingham,Local News,news,Public Safety,Small Heath,West Midlands,West Midlands Fire ServiceA quick thinking local resident has prevented a Christmas tragedy by waking up the occupant of a house on fire. The fire broke out late Friday night in a house on Charles Road in Small Heath, Birmingham. A local resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, prevented any fatalities by waking up...The latest news, updates and events in Birmingham